The staff are here to ensure you enjoy your visit to the collection and exhibition galleries.
Our facilities include:
- Assisted toilet facilities
- Gendered toilets in the Shop
- Gender-neutral toilets at the Parkside entrance
- Gender-neutral toilets on the lower ground floor - downstairs on the Oxford Road side, lift available
- Wheelchairs available for public use
- Adequate seating with arms throughout the gallery
- Light, handheld portable stools
- Ear defenders
- Our Grand Hall, which hosts conferences, talks, and workshops is fitted with hearing loops
- 4 baby changing areas
- A family room - downstairs on the Oxford Road side, lift available
- Coin-operated buggy locks and lockers
- Large print information about exhibitions
- Disabled parking on Denmark Road
- The lighting levels can often be low due to the vulnerable nature of our collections. Assistance Dogs are welcome in the gallery
Denmark Road is directly adjacent to the gallery, it has step-free access to both our Park Side and Oxford Road entrances. There are a total of 5 disabled bays, 9 spaces for car/bus drop-off and 7 double yellow line areas, which can be used by blue badge holders.
Parkside Entrance: 3 gallery-designated disabled bays are directly beside our park entrance along Denmark road. A short step-free path from our park gates leads you to the parkside entrance.
Oxford Road Entrance: There are an additional 2 disabled bays further along on Denmark Road for the surrounding buildings. If using these you can enter through our main gates (across the bicycle lanes) and up shallow gradient ramps leading to our automatic doors, which open inwards.
If you need any assistance when arriving, please contact our Visitor Team on 0161 275 7450 who are happy to help.
- Ear defenders can be borrowed from the Oxford Road desk.
- We can provide quieter spaces, should you wish to access one please ask a member of staff.
- Our Quieter Hours are normally after 3pm on a weekday and from 10-11am on a Sunday.
We offer the following:
- Free nappies and wipes
- Pushchair access at both our entrances.
- A coin-operated buggy park situated on the lower ground floor
- Coin-operated lockers
- 4 baby change areas
- An emergency baby supplies kit at the Oxford Road reception desk which includes nappies, wipes and other essentials.
- You are welcome to breast or bottle feed babies in our gallery spaces, where there is plenty of seating. If you would like somewhere a little more private then please ask a member of staff for some suggestions. Food cannot be consumed anywhere in the gallery spaces, however if you fancy a snack then you can eat on the Lower Promenade, visit our Café in the Trees or enjoy a picnic in the Art Garden.
Safety in the building
The safety and wellbeing of our visitors is our main focus. Our Health & Safety policies and procedures ensure spaces are risk assessed on a regular basis and the Visitor Team are fully trained in First Aid, Fire Marshal and full evacuation procedures. All team members are identified through uniforms and name badges to help assist all our visitors.
We continue to work with people with diverse abilities and support needs along with specialist organisations to continue to improve our visitor offer. An internal Access Group also meets regularly to keep us on track and moving forward.
Do you have any questions about your visit to the gallery?
We are always trying to improve our offer and we’d love to hear about your visit and any feedback. Please call us on 0161 275 7450 or email the Visitor Team.
Thinking of bringing a group to the gallery? Read more about group visits.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use our website and we are
continually working towards improving its accessibility.
Find out more about our work on Web Accessibility